Welcome to another episode of Post-Traumatic Parenting! I’m thrilled to share today’s episode with you as I’m experimenting with a new format for solo episodes. After hearing from several post-traumatic parents who reached out to share their stories on the podcast but were concerned about protecting their identities, I wanted to find a way to help them and analyze their situations without revealing any sensitive information. By doing so, we can learn so much from one another’s experiences and grow together as a community.
In today’s episode, I begin by discussing the five different types of post-traumatic parents, with a particular focus on the entangled parent and establishing boundaries. I then introduce you to the first story of Esme, an entangled parent, and we explore her entanglement with family, the impact it had on her day-to-day life, and my advice for her moving forward. Tune in for this and more!
Topics covered in this episode:
- The 5 types of post-traumatic parents
- What it means to be an entangled parent
- Esme’s own entanglement story
- The challenges of working from home
- Esme’s emotional displacement onto her children due to the entanglement situation
- Esme’s arbiters of reality and how they influence her day-to-day life
- What is the AIM model and how to apply it in Esme’s situation
- Why post-traumatic parents often struggle with establishing boundaries
- The trait that others find annoying may actually be your secret superpower
- Why is it hard to establish boundaries at times for entangled parents
- How to reclaim your reality from the arbiters of reality
- Don’t let your kids be the caretaker of your own emotions
Connect with Robyn:
- Website: www.drrobynkoslowitz.com
- Instagram: @dr.koslowitzpsychology
- Facebook Group: Post-Traumatic Parenting
- Post Traumatic Parenting Guidebook
- Email: email@example.com
More about Post Traumatic Parenting:
“How can I give my kids a normal childhood, when mine was anything but?” Post-Traumatic Parenting is the podcast for anyone who has ever asked themselves that question. Robyn Koslowitz, Ph.D., clinical psychologist, and Post-Traumatic Parent, combines the fields of post-traumatic recovery and growth with our best understanding of how to raise Little Humans. Through interviews with experts in the fields of behavior science, psychology, trauma, and child development, as well as interviews with toy developers, children’s book authors, and anyone else who makes childhood a delight, Dr. Koslowitz explores how trauma impacts our parenting, and how to hack our traumas into superpowers and super-parenting.
Each week, Dr. Koslowitz unpacks how to survive and thrive as a Post-Traumatic Parent. She shares behind-the-scenes insights into the research that underlies what we know about parenting, child development, and trauma recovery. Each podcast provides actionable tips about how to transform our Post-Traumatic Parenting and how to turn our parenting journey into a post-traumatic growth experience. Dr. Koslowitz interviews some of the famous names in these fields, and some experts you’ve never heard of (but should have!). Ready to go from survivor to thriver? Ready to become the parent you’ve always dreamed of being? Join us!